Review, Essay and Illustration Pitches
The LRC is always happy to hear from prospective writers and artists, who can email us at email@example.com for more details about our assignment process or with specific queries.
- The LRC publishes poetry by emerging and established Canadian writers.
- The LRC only considers previously unpublished poems for its issues.
- Submissions should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please submit no more than 3-5 poems for any given issue.
- Attach as a WORD document to your email and copy/paste your poems into the body of your email.
- Include your full contact information, including your postal address.
May 2017 – Be inspired by this quotation from Anne Carson’s The Beauty of the Husband: “Perfection rested on them for a moment like calm on a lake./Pain rested./Beauty does not rest. The husband touched his wife’s temple/and turned/and ran/down/the/stairs.” Submission deadline: March 28, 2017.
June 2017 – French forms (villanelles, triolets, pantoums) on any topic. Submission deadline: April 17, 2017.
July/August 2017 – Be inspired by Stephanie Bolster’s poem, “Hedge”: “It divides: there from here, play from duty; it tries to let us have it/both ways. Creatures inhabit it, evolving in forever-dusk until their vision/trespasses leaves and our skin.” Submission deadline: May 15, 2017.
September 2017 – Open call for Canadian poets with manuscripts being published in fall 2017. Submission deadline: July 15, 2017.
October 2017 – Be inspired by Sue Goyette’s poem “You Know This”: “This is how it begins, this part of winter. Its hands, clawed/and chapped, undo the safety net over your ears. Once that’s gone/you hear things you shouldn’t. Whispers.” Submission deadline: August 15, 2017.
November 2017 – Japanese forms (haiku, tanka, et al.). Submission deadline: September 15, 2017.
December 2017 – Be inspired by Lorna Crozier’s “The Language of Angels”: “Their marvellous mouths say nothing,/say nothing. What you hear is/their silence.” Submission deadline: October 15, 2017.